Thursday, August 20, 2009

House/Dog Sitting

Did I mention we are house sitting for 3 weeks. Yep, it is true. One of the doctors I work for is taking a 3 week vacation at a beach house on Lake Michigan. It even has a private beach. That is what people do here, go to their beach house in the dead center of a continent. Anyway, she has already called to brag about how wonderful it is. Life is hard, isn't it? Anyway, we are staying at their house, taking care of the dog, Molly. She is a German Shepard/Golden Retriever mix, I think. I mean look at those ears (see above picture), I know she is at least part GS. And she sheds like I've NEVER seen before.My boss told us we could bring our cat, because lets be honest, 3 weeks is a long time to leave a cat. They live close enough to us that we could go back and forth, but we are happy to have him here. We introduced Molly to Cass and vice versa, the result - they couldn't care less about each other. I've never seen to animals so indifferent to each other. In fact, Cass just sits around and watches old Molly (see above picture).
But I'll tell you what, staying in a house, albeit old, is nice. We have a washer and dryer (heaven), a garage, a small yard, and a BBQ. I could get used to living in a house again......really fast. Except, it feels weird not having a million barriers from the world, you know, door to apartment building, door man, key to get through to the elevators, and another key to get into our apartment. I almost feel like we are vulnerable with only 1 locked door between us and the great outdoors. Anyone else feel this way?

1 week down, 2 more to go.

3 comments:

acandiedapple said...

I totally feel this way! Our bedrooms are all upstairs and if I am upstairs putting Calder to bed or anything that required more than 1-2 minutes I would close all the windows downstairs first. The windows are up a half flight of stairs, so they aren't ground level, but it still freaks me out.

I'm not sure if I'll ever get over it. I imagine I will eventually. I agree that having a yard, laundry and a BBQ is great.

Renee said...

I'm getting used to feeling that way. I have to say it's nice to not have kids coming to your door selling newspapers all the time.

Enjoy the home, yard, cat, dog life!

Keith and Nicci said...

I get nervous about that actually, so sometime in the future we plan on getting a home security system :)