Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Naha

Photo is not from dinner but oeuf a la neige is that piece of foam in the middle
Last night, we went out to dinner with a partner from Bill's firm who is in Chicago for on campus interviews for the next summer interns. He told Bill to find a place to eat that was nice. So Bill pulled out the Zagat guide and tried to get reservations to Topolobombo, but alas, we had to have made reservations a while ago to get in on a Tuesday evening. So we tried Naha.
It. was. amazing. I tried some new things that I don't normally see on menus. My appetizers was: Organic Carnaroli Risotto, Spanish Chorizo and Montelerraina Cheese, Red Rib Dandelion Greens, Confit Garlic and Tarragon. It was pretty dang good, however, the Spanish chorizo, which I've had chorizo before, was different than I expected. Not dense like a sausage would be. I can't even explain it, but it was pretty tasty. My entree was this succulent piece of meet: Wood-Grilled 18 oz. Prime Ribeye of Beef with a Saute of Roasted Tropea Onions, "Rose Finn" Potatoes, Tender Spinach, Bacon "Shards" and Flowering Thyme, Rich Oxtail Sauce and Murray River "Apricot" Sea Salt. I really wanted to try the oxtail sauce, so that was the reason behind this dish, and it did not disappoint. Bill opted for the roasted squab. Pretty good, but there is something disconcerting about have a dish served with feet. And finally, my favorite part of any meal, was dessert. Oh my, so many options. Lets cut to the chase, they had the most exotic ice creams and that is how I picked my dessert solely. I chose this: "Oeufs a la Neige" and Locally Grown Blueberries with Olive Oil Ice Cream, Polenta Custard and Balsamic Caramel. For real, olive oil ice cream, I've heard of it but never seen it. It did not disappoint! It was interesting and pretty tasty. And, who would have thought of using polenta as a custard. I think I"m going to have to try to make that myself. I made Bill get this: Almond Brown Butter "Financier" Cake served warm with Sweet Corn Ice Cream, fragrant Local Plums and "Popcorn". I wanted to try the sweet corn ice cream. It was good, but mine was better. And the last dish that I couldn't really pawn off on the partner that I wanted to try was a Spanish bread pudding with Saffron ice cream. It was drenched in a liquor (no surprise) so I opted out. I would go back just for dessert. Well, dessert would be about the only thing we could afford, so I guess that is that.
*Too bad no pictures, I thought it would have been tacky to pull out my camera phone during dinner. Boo.
*Is selling your soul to the firm bad, because it sure does taste good?
I know my fonts are messed up, I've tried to fix it. I'm over it.

3 comments:

Renee said...

Mmmmmm! Is this what Bill has been eating all summer? Ox tail, garlic tarragon compote (what's a compote?) Olive oil ice cream?!
Sounds like an exciting meal. Was the partner as exciting to meet? Are you allowed to comment on that? ;)

Kate said...

Sure, the partner was really nice and very down to earth.
and yes, this is what Bill has been eating all summer long. It makes me feel sorry for myself.......grilled cheese and cereal do not compare.

Tyler V said...

Congrats on bill's sellout. Hooray for tasty foods. I am jealous.