Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Good Hair

Remember the post I did on hair a while back. Well we watched the documentary Good Hair yesterday. I'll tell you what, it was entertaining and very informative. I had no idea that salons had layaway programs for weaves. Average weave cost around $1000. They interviewed some celebrity, and she said she spends an average $18,000 a year on her hair. It's ridiculous.
Few things I learned:
-Black people make up 20% of the population, hair products for black people make up 80% of the hair product industry.
-If your hair is relaxed, then everyone is relaxed, if your hair is nappy, you aren't happy.
-Hair for weaves come from India.
-Remember Salt n' Pepa's hair from the 80's? It was asymmetrical because their hair was burned off by relaxers.

3 comments:

Kalli said...

Oh man! I feel so stupid for shaving off half of my hair now.

Clare said...

I'm in line for Good Hair at the library. It's almost mine, and I'm excited to watch it!

Kate said...

We rented from red box - love $1 rentals.