Thursday, May 26, 2011

The flavors of summer

Since we are city slickers, having a garden really isn't possible. I shed a few tears over this every year. But alas, we have a balcony so I decided to plant a few things. 1. Basil. I love basil and it is outrageously priced at the grocery store. 2. Tomatoes. What, tomatoes on a balcony, never! Yes it's true. My friend Cami told me she bought some balcony tomatoes at the store just the other day. They only grow to about 2-3 feet high, and the fruit is only a few inches. So, we are giving them a try. I was worried, because last weekend was the end of the world and I would be very upset if I didn't get to taste the fruits of my labors. Aren't we lucky that the world didn't end? Tomatoes will be here in July. Asher is a good little helper. Bad picture, but what kind of a face do you expect when you taste dirt? It did look like chocolate cake crumbs, easy to confuse.
Bring on the flavors of summer: blt's, panzanella, pizza, and caprese salad.

No comments: