Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chicago Weekend

*Forgive me for taking so long to document this, I've been on sabbatical from social media. For a more thorough post see Danielle's.

A couple weeks ago, I was lucky enough to go to Chicago for a girls weekend. I've never done one of these before, and no surprise, it was tons of fun. It was great to catch up with old friends who live close by and who don't. And it was great to be back in the city. I'm going to say Chicago is probably one of the greatest cities ever, and of course New Yorkers will dispute that. But New Yorkers probably haven't spent much time in the Second City.
We had a strict itinerary that detailed our days by locations to eat at. There really wasn't a lot of activities if any included, but food was an absolute. Such as Sweet Mandy B's, Bongo Room, Bandera, Sushi Wabi. Oh I love them all. I miss you vegi burger and grilled artichoke, oh how I miss you...
We did manage a few activities such as dinner with friends in Hyde Park. Best of both worlds friends + dinner= happiness. I'm starting to sound like a fatty, all this talk of food.
After the dinner party, a few of us brave (crazies) decided it would be so fun to go skinny dipping in Lake Michigan. Sadly, the waves were crashing against the rocks at the Point and we decided it would be better to just dip and pass on the skinny. But it was fun and crazy anyway. Thanks Katie for making it happen, and Hammond's, wish you could have made it.
We made it back down to HP for church and a quick trip to one of my favorite places in the whole world, Hyde Park produce. Why is the place so good? Because it is cheap, has great food, carries Boar's Head meats, my favorite Mammer wafers, and good crusty breads.
The ward was awesome. So different, but great to be in a familiar place again. I'd forgotten how loud that ward is, but then I remember some of the conversations I listed to during sacrament meeting, such as how great McDonald's cheese burgers are vs the salads and other random conversations. I guess all the "whispered" conversations aren't very whispered. Did anyone else get to experience these gems from Willy?

We got a pedicure and shopped till there was no money left to shop with. It think it was a very successful girls weekend. Thanks husbands for making it happen.

4 comments:

Whitney said...

So fun!! Chicago will always hold a special place in my heart! {sigh!} I would not have been so daring as to swim in Lake Michigan, particularly at night!

Jess Hammond said...

I have very few major regrets in life. One of them is not joining you for the dip.

Karen said...

Umm, I think you forgot to mention how great it was to meet a blog stalker while in Chicago ;) Haha. It was nice to finally meet you in person!

Kate said...

Indeed I did. From a fellow blog stalker, it was great to meet you Karen!