Sunday, June 21, 2009

Where have I been?

I don't know, but I definitely haven't been blogging. I just having been feeling it. No new material in my life right now. I mean gang initiation weeks is over, and Chicago is pretty calm and humid. Speaking of humidity, I'm still trying to decide what is worse, 110 degrees of dry heat or 85 degrees with humidity. Right now I think humidity wins. I think I would have picked humidity as the worst even while suffering through hot Las Vegas summer.
Anyway, I'll get to the point. I went to DC last weekend, and it was glorious, and hot, and humid. Bill told me it was rainy, so I showed up in jeans and a tee-shirt with a heavy sweater (prepared for Chicago weather) only to find out it was really hot and really humid. After walking all over the mall trying to find my sisters work (a cool museum, think night at the museum type of place, yes she really is that cool) I was drenched, and immediately changed into the 1 warm weather piece of clothing that I brought and wore it for the whole weekend. I'll be better prepared next time.
I had a great weekend. I got to see Julia Child's kitchen (I really want to see the movie Julie and Julia coming out in August about our dearest Julia Child). I also saw the original flag that inspired the Star-Spangled Banner. Cool, I know. Met up with my sister for lunch and then met up with Bill later that evening after he coerced all of the summer interns to take off early (5:30 pm) for the weekend. And the rest of the weekend we just chilled. I got to see his office, ran the Lawyers Have Heart 10k with Bill's firm (see team picture below, kind of awkward) ate food, because that is what we do, and chilled with my sister and her husband. Thanks sister for letting us bum at your place.
Here we are, nice and sweaty.
Yeah, matching team shirts. All lawyers and a wife...Bill you need to start running your own races.
Oh, I guess I have some material to share with you. I saw this hearse leaving the hospital one day while I was running errands around campus. Good thing I had my phone with me or else what would I do a post on?

And finally, as for the poll, I just wanted to see if Chicago was a Midwest thing or nationwide. Apparently it is a nation wide phenomenon because I seem to be in the minority. I can accept that.

8 comments:

Clare said...

Maybe because it's because I grew up with it, but I'd take the humidity any day instead of the 100 degree temps. I always died when we visited Clint's brother in Vegas during the summer.

LuAnn said...

Did the firm seriously make sleeveless t-shirts for the race. For some reason that makes me laugh...I mean because they are sleeveless. Yeah for DC!

Kate said...

All the firms had matching team shirts, and most of them were sleeveless, ie tanks, like ours (it was so dang hot and humid, I would have melted in more clothing). They just ordered man sized shirts so they look extra ghetto.

Camille said...

sweet shirts! i just finished a book called My Life in France for my book group, and if you're a julia child fan, you'd enjoy this book!

Paige said...

I'm really looking forward to the Julia Child movie, too. I've got to go see that display of her kitchen -- she had to customize everything because she was so tall, right?

the lunch lady said...

so not fair of you to brag about your trip to dc . . .

Renee said...

Hmmm, I haven't been in humidity for a while. What kind of clothing do you recommend for a trip to D.C.?

Kate said...

skirts and shorts. no jeans...ever.