Friday, October 26, 2007

Calm before the storm...

So a new storm blew into Hyde Park this morning. Unfortunately not the kind of storm that I could wear my cute new rain boots, but a different storm. The storm that only comes with a celebrity siting.

So I was in the gym this morning, running on the treadmill and it got really quiet all of the sudden.....and then the one and only walked in- Senator Barack Obama. It is true. Then the storm broke loose. A weirdo GSB student said robustly- "Good morning Senator." And then a few old women chirped in with their good mornings. Well I didn't say anything. I thought, nobody really wants to talk to anyone while they getting all sweaty and gross. But don't worry folks, he got on the treadmill next to mine, and it was exciting. I tried so hard to keep a huge grin from forming on my cheeks, and I was successful, but it was extremely difficult. I mean, who do you know that works out with a presidential candidate. You never know, I should get his autograph so that if he does become president, I can say that we broke a sweat at the same gym. Pretty cool. But here is the best part, he said "Hey, I know you, you're Kate Weaver, runner extraordinaire! Can I get your autograph, so when you become pro, I can say I knew you as an amateur champ!" I said, "Of course senator, and don't worry, my friend Chelsea and her husband are voting for you!" Okay, well this last part didn't exactly happen, but just like I was thinking about asking for his John Hancock, he was probably thinking about asking for mine.

Anyways, here are the gory details, he tucks his shirt into his workout pants. I wondered where his advisor was, because if he had been there, he would have made him un-tuck his shirt. And second, he only walked on the treadmill, no running. Guess he should have thought twice about becoming a chain smoker.

So there you have it, Senator Barack Obama in the Regents Park fitness center.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! (And I am sure he really did want your autograph, he was just too polite to ask.)

Bill said...

For the record, Senator Obama works out at our building's gym often, at least he did over the summer. The students who were here saw him frequently. I've even come down the elevator to walk out and see secret service.

However, I won't be voting for him. Why? Because it'll be more impressive to have him for a professor than for a president! Obama taught at the Law School before he was elected to the Senate. And since that'll be over soon, if he's not president then back he comes. Booya!

Nanette said...

I guess you should take your camera to the gym from now on, huh? And your Disneyland autograph book complete with Tinkerbell pen. Just in case, ya know?

Eric said...

Kate- I think you should have helped Obama out by suggesting to untuck his shirt. He probably would have appreciated it!

tyler and ali said...

I've got to agree with Camille. Maybe you could be his "Stacy London" and tell him what not to wear. He'd thank you in the long run.