Sunday, December 9, 2007

"Happy Birthday" from the Senator?


Yesterday was my 24th birthday- can you believe? I am so old. Because I am getting so old, I went downstairs to the fitness club to work out my arthritic knees (no I don't really have arthritis, just starting to train for the greatest race in the world) and go for a run. Low and behold, who comes in with his body guard- none other then Senator Barrack Obama. I don't know if it was his body guard or his fashion advisor, because he did not have his shirt tucked in- so I'll go with fashion advisor. I'm on the treadmill finishing up my workout and he gets on the treadmill one over. Here is the best part- he talked to me! Yes ladies and gents. he initiated a conversation! It went like this:

Senator: "Excuse me."

Senator: "Excuse me."

(It took me a minute to realize he was speaking to me)

Me: "Yes?"

Senator: "Was there someone on this treadmill before me?"

Me: "I do not believe so, it was empty when I got here."

Senator: "oh okay, I just found these-" he held up a pair of glasses.

Me: "oh, sorry."


Wasn't that enlightening. Had he known it was my birthday, I'm sure he would have added a Happy Birthday into the conversation. He is that kind of a person.

We both proceeded with our workouts and he was rather amusing to secretly watch yesterday morning. He was running pretty fast and got quite winded- he would go for a few minutes at a fast pace and then he would jump onto the sides of the treadmill (you know, with the belt still moving, but feet on the frame of the machine). He did this a lot- he should of thought about the consequences before he became a chain smoker. But I guess he needs to get in shape before elections come around. Thanks Barack for a great end to my workout!

5 comments:

Bill said...

Kate's friend also asked the bodyguard why Obama works out in our building's gym. Answer: "Because he likes it." Oh yeah.

Erin said...

Happy Birthday! So, are you going to vote for him? Oprah is. :)

Mr. Beaver Mountain said...

I bet some Obama campaign lackey read your blog (we can pretend, right?) and advised the Senator to stop tucking in his shirt! It’s a Chicago B-Day miracle to remember.

Kate said...

He hasn't asked for my vote yet. I bet he will the next time I see him. Baby steps.

tyler and ali said...

Happy birthday! I'm awed with your brushes with potential glory...or I think they're odd brushes with potential glory. Yeah, you're totally old now, almost pushing 30...oh, no, that's ME! You're just a young pup who is in way too good of shape! We miss you!