Friday, May 9, 2008

Good Food Friday

This recipe is so dreamy (as you can see, I day dream about it all the time). We have Portobello-Chicken Panini. What does Portobello mushrooms + onions + tomatoes + bread = ? Yummy, that's what! So try it out.
Ingredients:
1 Tbls Basil oil or olive oil
1 Tbls red wine vinegar
1/2 tps Italian seasoning mix
1/2 tsp salt (I would do to taste)
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 large portobello mushroom caps (about 4" in diameter)
2 slices (1/2" thick) large white onion (about 4" in diameter)
8 slices (3/4" thick) Italian bread such as Vienna
1 C grated Provolone cheese
1 C shredded roasted chicken
2 plum tomatoes, sliced

1. In prep bowl, combine oil, vinegar, seasoning mix, salt, garlic and black pepper; whisk until well blended. Brush both sides of mushroom caps and onion slices with vinaigrette.
2.Heat grill pan over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Place mushroom caps and onion onto grid of pan; place grill press on top. Grill 4-6 minutes, turning once. Thinly slice mushrooms on the bias. Cut onion slices in half; set mushrooms and onion aside.
3. To assemble sandwiches, generously spray one side of each bread slice with vegetable oil. Arrange 4 bread slices oiled side down; top with half of cheese. Arrange chicken, mushrooms, onion, and tomatoes over cheese. Top with remaining cheese and remaining bread slices, oil side up.
4. White grill pan with paper towel, if necessary. Heat pan over medium-low heat 5 minutes. Place sandwiches on grid of pan and place grill press over sandwiches. Grill 2-3 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear. Serve warm.

Yield: 4 sandwiches

Thanks mom for the apron.

9 comments:

Melanie said...

wow you always make the best recipes! Things I'd probably never try because I'm not adventurous. Though I did make your potato leek soup a couple weeks ago. It was delish!

Kate said...

I'm so glad you liked it!

Nanette said...

You look very cute in your new apron!
Great recipe!

Anonymous said...

Where do you get the cutest aprons I have ever seen? Are you making them?

Kate said...

My mom bought it some where. I love it! Email her, I'm sure she will tell you.

JoSue said...

did you get that apron from flirty aprons? I saw a kiosk in the mall and they had aprons almost identical to yours. I think they are adorable. Oh I just realized you already wrote that you didn't know where it came from. Well, then I'm pretty sure it's a flirty apron. Look on the tag.

Kate said...

My sister said my mom got it from a kiosk in the mall. You are right, good eye Jo.

The Genealogist said...

You can find the aprons at www.flirtyaprons.com

JoSue said...

Mystery solved! Maybe you should avoid wearing unidentifiable clothes in the future. Us readers cannot handle the unknown. :)