Monday, December 15, 2008

my love hate relationship with chicago


Courtesy of idle America at http://idleamerica.org/resources/frozen+car.jpg
This might as well be my car.

I have a love hate relationship with Chicago. In the spring, summer and fall, I LOVE Chicago. But come winter, all allegiance to this "great" city sinks like a rock. This morning, I woke up early to go swimming with a friend from church. I woke up multiple times due to my fe-lion friend and in anticipation of my alarm. But every time I woke up, I heard a horrific wind combined with freezing rain. So when I made it out to my car this morning, I found my car to be covered with a solid sheet of ice. I reconsidered going swimming. I mean it was cold enough that one foot out the door caused your sinuses to ache. I also reconsidered going swimming because that involves squeezing myself back into one of my swimsuits from high school. (as much as I wish I were the same old me from high school, I'm not, and I always sized down my suits too) high school swimsuit + 2 sizes smaller than normal size + 7+ years = bad idea.
But with frost bite and a bit of sliding around the roads, I made it to the pool. And I swam my little out of shape heart out. It felt good, and I got a good whooping too.
Besides, I need to get in shape, marathon season is just around the corner.
So moral of the story, only live in Chicago during spring, summer, and fall, because winter SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Paige said...

ugh, yikes. You must have to have an ice pick and a blowtorch!

Clare said...

You sound like Clint and his relationship with Wisconsin. Unlike you, he's probably stuck here for eternity... :)

Unknown said...

That does not sound fun at all, I'll take my moderately cold Utah thanks