Thursday, December 4, 2008

Things I should have known

Picture circa 2005

During my sophomore year of college, my roommate Vanessa was engaged. Our bishop was awesome, he provided them with a list of questions to ask each other so that they would better know and understand one another. I thought that the list was a great idea and wished that the bishop in our ward when we were engaged would have done the same. But lo and behold, he did no such thing. Well he kind of did, he told us "YOU MUST FIGURE OUT YOUR CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS" such as a star or angel on the top of the tree. That was it.
And three plus years later, I still wish we would have had a list because apparently I married a stranger. Tonight while heating up leftovers from thanksgiving, I pulled out the can of jellied cranberry sauce. I LOVE jellied cranberry sauce from a can!
So I'm standing in the kitchen eating cranberry sauce out of a can (with a spoon, I'm not a heathen), and I say "Bill, don't you love cranberry sauce from a can?"
Bill - " (silence) ."
I said again, but louder "Don't you love cranberry sauce from a can...........Bill?"
Bill "no I don't"

Who is this man, how did I marry someone who doesn't like cranberry sauce from a can, ridges and all? I'll keep him, but this definitely should have been disclosed during the dating period.

So, has your significant other surprised you with any news since you've been together?

4 comments:

Tyler V said...

No, Tyler has learned that I'm always right, and he always defers to my opinion.
Or, I learned that he MUST have a live Christmas tree. Forget the cheaper cost of a reusable fake tree, and the time saved by not having to find and light the tree. He refuses to budge on this one. I feel it should have been disclosed at the commencement of our courtship.

Farm Girl said...

When we were dating I thought my husband was a night owl, like me. Boy, was I wrong.

Danielle said...

Wow Bill looks young in that picture!

Ditto on the jellied cranberry sauce from the can. Whitney brought some to our Thanksgiving dinner, but I think I was the only one who ate some.

Max has surprised me with all sorts of stuff I thought he liked (foodwise - and therefore I kept making it for dinner only to find out later he didn't like it) because he has this silly idea that I'll get offended if he tells me he doesn't like something.

We had this mini-fiasco after we'd been engaged for a month when I found out Max's name was just "Max" and not short for "Maxwell". It's a funny story. Ask me about it sometime. :)

the lunch lady said...

yogurt.

and cantelope.

and gingersnaps.

why???? I just don't understand!!

My SIL says style of Christmas tree is also important. Skinny? Full? Charlie Brown? Pinion Shrub? So many different options.