Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Can't We Still Be Friends?


I must make a retraction- I don't know if I can love hamburgers any more. Bill and I went to a BBQ at a friends house for Labor Day. It was BYOB- beef not beer. Well for the fourth day in a row, we had hamburgers. However, these hamburgers were different. They really were big fat juicy burgers- so fat that they didn't cook all the way through, well at least mine didn't. As a result of the 3 bites of burger that I ate yesterday, I have been stricken with food poisoning. Let me tell you, I feel pretty retched. Tonight I went out with my sisters and mom, all I could do was sip a coke- I took a really tiny bite of my sandwich, but yeah, is sucked, probably more so than moving- if you can believe that. None-the-less, the evening was fun, but because of that burger yesterday, I've suffered greatly and I will continue to suffer because I don't know if I will ever be able to fully enjoy hamburgers again. Is our relationship over? What a tragedy!

6 comments:

Mr. Beaver Mountain said...

I know what you're going through. I still won't eat at Carl's Jr. after getting food poisoning there 4 years ago.

You have a long haul ahead of you, but hamburgers are a staple and I predict that with some hard work and perseverance you’ll be back in the saddle in no time.

Farm Girl said...

This is true. There was a time when Derek would not/could not eat breakfast burritos; the very thought of an egg hanging out in a tortilla made his blood run cold. But thanks to my gentle persistence Derek is once again able to enjoy a good B.B.

Bill said...

Excuses, excuses. Do you know how many tacos I've thrown up? Hundreds. Has that stopped me? Heck no. How many times has your dad thrown up oysters? Many. And yet he keeps going. If a food wants to take me on, I'm at least going to go down fighting.

Nanette said...

Poor, poor Kate. Food poisoning sucks. I hope you feel better and stay away from the nasty beasts for a while. Once your relationship has been jeopardized like that, the healing process takes time. It'll probably be a while until you learn to trust the burger again.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you were sick, there is nothing worse. Might I suggest that there will come a time when you will enjoy hamburgers equally well again, however, you will be quite selective in WHOSE hamburgers you eat? You may look forward to in the future, for example, to your dad's hamburgers or Dana's hamburgers because there's no risk, no fear.

I use to love anybody's chicken pot pies (frozen, Marie Calendar's, etc.) After a particularly horrible experience with a Kentucky Fried Chicken chicken pot pie (I know, I know, DUH!), not so thrilled to eat any pot pie except one I make myself. Also, be VERY discerning about the clam chowder you eat - if there isn't steam coming off that soup - DON'T EAT IT (and this is probably the finest advice I've every given)!

Mr. Beaver Mountain said...

I failed to mention how clever your picture choice is.