Thursday, January 24, 2008

Car=Communication

In our last ward, Bill and I taught the Marriage and Family Relations class. It was really fun. We decided to open our class every week with a quiz to see how well you knew your spouse. Questions would consist of listing you and your partners 5 favorite books and 5 favorite hymns and other such things. This would (we hoped) encourage couples to talk more. Well Bill and I like to do our major getting to know you in the car. Road trips are perfect, you are trapped in a car for many hours so we talk about all sorts of things. Some of my favorite questions are:

"Would you still like me if......."usually I say things like: I only had one eye, I had a huge mole on my nose with hair growing out of it, I had no arms, I had 3 legs (I'd be one fast runner)!, I were French, but was still the same old freckly me, my hair grew like a horses main, or had a giant goiter.
You get the picture. I'm sure you'd all like to know the answers to these question, well the answer is no- he probably wouldn't have dated-married me. But some things we did find out or decide from these long conversations:

-Our boys will never be in ballet

-Bill never ate exotic foods like- Indian, sushi, tomatoes, sour cream, Thai .... until he met me.
-One frivolous purchase we are going to make when we get out of law school is a Dyson vacuum.
-Bill tried to race me down the mountain the first time we went skiing together- I had no idea he was racing.
-We will have a trampoline and a swing set, you can't be a respected Mormon without at least one of the two.
-We realized that our official song is Changes by 2Pac.
You get the picture: So what have you discovered about your spouse since you've been married?

5 comments:

the lunch lady said...

Sour cream is high on my list of exotic foods!

Kate said...

To each his own- point is, he wouldn't eat it- too crazy/exotic/alien for him to eat.

Clare said...

Clint & I do that all the time. Usually it's, would you still love me if...(insert weird facial expression here). It's pretty entertaining.

Bill said...

No. I'm racing you EVERY time, or at least until I win one. And where did the swing set come from? Trampoline, yes, but we never agreed on a swing set. Finally, I had plenty of Thai food pre-marriage; just no sushi or Indian... or tomatoes... or sour cream.

Kate said...

whatever- when did you ever willing go to a Thai restaurant? Thia, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamiese? The list could go on. Speaking of Vietnamiese, I could really use some Bun right about now- ummmmm East West Connection- on Foothill Blvd- try it!