Friday, March 7, 2008

Good Food Friday

Roasted Garlic- yum, I could eat this smeared on a baguette right about now.
Just cooking my onions, I do this a lot it seems. Onions and garlic are staples in my kitchen. (and we like the action shots)
As you can see, Bill liked the soup. I thought taking a picture eating dinner was stupid, hence my pouty look- but check out my awesome apron.
Today's recipe is.........................Roasted Garlic Soup with Parmesan Cheese, and it was pretty good. No, this probably would not be the best choice for a romantic dinner or first date, but it was tasty nonetheless. You see my friends, it had a pleasant and mild flavor, and it exceeded my expectations so much so, that yes, I would make it again. Try it and see.

Ingredients:
26 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
2 1/4 cups sliced onions
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
18 garlic cloves, peeled
3 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Place 26 garlic cloves in small glass baking dish. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake until garlic is golden brown and tender, about 45 min. Cool. Squeeze garlic between fingertips to release cloves. Transfer to small bowl.
Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add onion and thyme and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 min. Add roasted garlic and 18 raw garlic cloves and cook 3 min. Add chicken stock; cover and simmer until garlic is very tender, about 2 min.
Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to saucepan; add cream and bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. (can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat, stirring occasionally.) Divide grated cheese among 4 bowls and ladle soup over.
Squeeze juice of 1 lemon wedge into each bowl and serve.

*I'm no pioneer woman when it comes to fat, so I frequently use half & half instead of whipping cream and it was just fine. And for some reason when I went to the produce market to buy thyme, I bought sage instead, don't ask why, but the soup was still tasty with thyme from my spice rack.

For another Good Food Friday recipes see here.

4 comments:

Farm Girl said...

I love your stink face! I have seen garlic soup recipes before, but have always been hesitant to try. I've always wondered if it is a monotous soup, but with your testimonial, I will give it a try.

Kate said...

It only makes enough for 4 which is fine with me, I woudln't want tons of left overs, but for a meal here or there, it is great.

Nanette said...

I love the action shots! Is it like French onion at all?

Britton said...

I'm glad Bill is still goofy and not a hoity toity lawyer... yet!