Friday, March 14, 2008

Good Food Friday

This weeks recipe is Couscous and Shrimp Salad with Tangerines and Almonds.
(sorry the picture is bad, my salad wasn't very pretty so I used one off the Internet)

This was pretty good, a great salad for a summer picnic because it is great cold and the yogurt gives it a nice cool flavor -- I thought so anyways. So here is the recipe but I quartered it because it serves 24.


Ingredients

3 cups plain yogurt

1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons ground cumin

6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

3 garlic cloves, pressed
6 cups water

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 10-ounce packages plain couscous

8 tangerines, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 4 cups)

2 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas),

drained1 cup golden raisins

2 pounds cooked peeled deveined large shrimp (about 50), halved lengthwise1 cup finely chopped green onions

1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Preparation

Place yogurt in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in oil and cumin. Stir in lemon juice and garlic. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
Mix 6 cups water and salt in large saucepan; bring to boil. Mix in couscous. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand until water is absorbed and couscous is tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer couscous to large bowl; fluff with fork. Cool to room temperature. Gently mix in tangerines, garbanzo beans, raisins, 3/4 of shrimp, 3/4 cup green onions and 1/2 cup almonds. Stir in dressing. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer salad to large serving platter. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover; chill. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.) Garnish with remaining shrimp, green onions and almonds.

I made some minor changes such as I used clementines b/c that's what I had, I also used vanilla yogurt b/c again, that's what I had and I left out the raisins, b/c I didn't want to buy them. And something I would do differently next time, I might use less than the quartered amount of olive oil in the yogurt. But I really liked the flavor and I would definitely make it again along with this tasty treat!

2 comments:

Bill said...

I hate couscous, and still really enjoyed this. So there you go.

Nanette said...

We love couscous AND shrimp at our house! (Elle hates rice now that she's been introducced to couscous)I can't wait to try this out