Monday, April 28, 2008

My Plants

So sad.....can you see the other plan consoling basil, its little arm outstretched. Poor poor Basil!Here they are together, they got along so well.

So the other day I was at the market and they were selling fresh basil, root and all. So I bought one, it was so fresh and lively and yummy! It had instructions for keeping it alive short term and long term. I choose the long term because I felt that our lovely other plant needed a little brother (obviously it is a brother since his name is Basil). So I ran over to our local hardware store and purchased a pot. I tried to buy dirt too, but they wanted to sell this huge bag of dirt to me. No way do I want to keep a big bag a dirt in my apartment, so I decided to got and steal borrow dirt from the park. I went to the park with my pot and a hammer (I don't have a shovel) and started digging up dirt around a tree, but there was too much bark and crap in the dirt, you know for aesthetic reasons. So I snuck over to the planters by my apartment building and nonchalantly dug (don't worry, I stopped when ever anyone was around). I got back upstairs and inserted my lovely basil and the dirt and gave it some water. Well apparently I have been struck down for stealing dirt, because Basil is on deaths door step. What to do??? Maybe the sand content was too high, I just don't know. So now, plant will be an only again. (If anyone can tell me plants real name, I'll give you......a high five next time I see you.)
Here it is with some lovely flowers, at one point it had 4 flowers all on one stem.

4 comments:

the lunch lady said...

dirt thief! that'll teach you. and can you say, amaryllis?

Kate said...

Thank you, I always knew she was a girl. At least Amaryillis is alive and well.

the lunch lady said...

Wow! I just read on Hollywood Flakes that Bill submitted the winning questions and gets a Flaky Friend of his very own! You guys are so lucky!

JoSue said...

Oh man. One of my few responsibilities at work this past year has been to water the two plants in the nursing learning center. I have watered them faithfully all year and one is definitely near its death bed. I don't get plants.... I think some just don't want to live. I'm sorry about your basil. The other one looks great though!