Thursday, June 26, 2008

Water Aerobics

The post you've all been waiting for, a post on water aerobics- Get Excited! So as you can see, I have lots of spare time on my hands while Bill is at work, and Citymama is out of town - boo. So what do I do? I do what any vain person would do, take pictures of my self doing ridiculous things. You can thank me that I didn't take pictures of me in the pool, that would have been too hard to do by myself. So you get the G rated version, me in clothes and in my small apartment, with a camera remote and tripod.
So lets start with the basics. Water aerobics can be done in shallow and deep water, mix it up. This move is great for about 4.5 to 5' range - A form of jumping jacks, but keep your arms in the water for maximum resistance, and cup your hands and push the water around you, and don't forget to be dramatic, all in the name of a good workout. See below.
Okay, here we have a little ab workout. So keep your legs at least shoulder length apart or wider, and twist your upper body, again use your arms for Resistance. RESISTANCE, RESISTANCE RESISTANCE!
Now it is time to bring in your dancing experience. If you are(were) a ballerina, do some ballerina moves, like plie and, well that's all the ballet positions I know. Be creative. Or do something like the grapevine, or clogging, honky tonky, or a jumping plie (this is great in deeper water, but if you are doing it in shallow water, maker sure you swimsuit it tied on securely).
If you are like me, you might have to resort to dancing like Elaine on Seinfeld, and that's okay. It still get a great workout dancing like a spaz in the water or on the coffee table.

Next we have, walk like an Egyptian, again, RESISTANCE is the key. Push water around with your arms and do some lunges in the shallow end.
And finally we have the Robot. This can be a good workout or and could be for kicks and giggles. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" I always like to say. So throw in some robot moves.
And finally how could I forget running in place or running around the pool (high knees are a must). When Deena Kastor is injured, she turns to the pool (a special workout pool) and runs in the water to maintain her fitness. Also, if you don't have a kick board, you can do a flutter kick or a breaststroke kick on the stairs.
So now what have we learned? RESISTANCE is key, (and not caring about what others think of you) and you can have a great workout!

6 comments:

Kendall said...

Harv~
Just wanting to remind you that you're a swimmer...and we used to make fun of the fat old ladies doing water aerobics. Just thought you should know.
~Ken

Clare said...

I'll have to try some of those out next time I'm swimming. Although I may do it in the river so no one can see what I'm doing underwater. Who knew acting like a spaz could be considered exercise. But then again, I haven't done the butt dance in a while.

Violet said...

Hello! So I'm not really sure how I stumbled upon your blog...but the point is I did. About a week ago I some how came across this wonderful blog of yours! And ever since, I'm completely addicted :) So just wanted to let you know, you have a new reader :)

Violet

Kate said...

Kendawg,
I realize that I/we always made fun of the 82 year olds doing water aerobics, but come on, its 90 degrees by 8 am, way too hot to run.
Clare,
Oh the butt dance, I'd forgotten about that sweet move. Unfortunately, there will not be any pictues of that dance.
Violet,
it's nice to meet you, and I'm very happy that you like my blog. do you have a blog, because I would love to read it.

Jobi Niu said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA YOu're freaking hilarious! water aerobics.. ha ha

Dan and Leslie said...

Hey Kate!

Nice water aerobics! I happened upon your blog and I'm glad I did! We've got to get ours going.

Have fun in Vegas!
The Newmans