Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Girls Trip 2008: DC Edition

The post you've all been waiting for, Girls Trip 2008. Okay, so maybe you don't care any more, or you never did care, but that is fine, because this is mostly for me, so deal with it. So I'll just narrate the trip with pictures, because.....it will probably be more interesting than every minute detail of the trip. So here we go.
Our first major stop on our road trip was to Overland Park, KS, my home sweet home. This folks, is where I was born and raised (at least the first 12 years). So we drove by the old house. When we lived there, everything seemed so much bigger, like the hill in the front, the back yard, the brick wall on the side of the house, the trees. But to my 24 year old eyes, nothing was as big as I remembered it.
Since we were there, we had to take a picture, even with the present owners home and lots of cars in the driveway. You'd do the same right?
Of course on a road trip, you have to sneak in a few pictures onto your sisters camera so she has a surprise when she downloads her photos. Too bad her lens was too big to get a full head shot.

Second stop of the trip: Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson. It was hot and muggy. My sister Marianne, and my mom.

Monticello in the flesh. It was pretty impressive, although his slave quarters were kind of shabby. This is the back of the house.
The front of Monticello.
Our ancestor, General John Bradstreet, seen at the National Portrait Gallery. Do you see the family resemblance?Waiting for the train, again it was hot and muggy.
We also took a trip to General George Washington's house, Mount Vernon. It was incredible. I think I liked it better than T. Jefferson. Well after touring both houses I've decided I like G. Washington better than T. Jefferson so I'm biased. The property was amazing, the house was fantastic, and who doesn't like Martha Washington. Oh yeah, and his slave quarters were much more humane. In the picture, Derek, Liz, Mom, Mari, and Me. (Derek wasn't on the road trip, he was at the final destination)
Aren't these pigs adorable. They were on the farm portion of Mount Vernon and boy did they squeal.
Washington tomb, quiet please!
While in D.C. we stopped at Derek's work which was right next to the White House, and snapped these pictures from the roof.
Another view of the White House.
Girls trip 2008 in front of the Capital building. If you were wondering what we looked like the last time we were here as a family, click here.

All together, the road trip was a success. I can't wait for the next girls trip - Girls trip 2010: Rome?!?!?!

1 comment:

Renee said...

What a cute family! i love the picture from your last trip there...I have a picture a lot like that with fluffy hair and florescent colors. Gotta love the early 90s!