Thursday, September 11, 2008

1 Year in Chicago

One year ago yesterday (I meant to write this on the actual day) we loaded up our belongings into a U haul trailer, and drove across the country. It was a terrible idea, well I suppose it wasn't so bad, because I didn't have to drive, but let me tell you, it was an intense 3 days. We figured, if our friends who have the exact same car as us (car is named Ruth) can attach a U haul trailer onto their vehicle and drive from Provo to Harvard, then we can surely make it from Provo to Chicago. So we did it and it sucked, but moving always sucks (can't you see the tears, I cried a lot). But it was worth it. Because we love Chicago, and we are happy to celebrate one year here. I'm just pretending that our 3 months in Hell Vegas didn't exist therefore, I can count them as time in Chicago. I've learned to embrace the wind (having short hair makes the wind easier to deal with), and winters just suck, but that's okay, we love our apartment, we love our ward, Bill loves school, and we love our life here.
So to celebrate our 1 year anniversary in Chicago, I took my bike out for a spin, freak suit and all (freak suit is code for all spandex, and the picture below does not contain freak suit). It was a lovely, yet very windy day. Nothing is better than riding up the lake into the city on your bike, where you can enjoy everything that Chicago has to offer: a great skyline, enormous yachts and sailboats on the lake, the greenery, and of course the lake. So my bike ride on somewhat flat tires was great (our pump sucks and Bill wasn't home to help me, boo).
I heart Chicago (the city, not the group).

Did I mention that I had a roommate who was obsessed with the band Chicago and she and her now husband would go to church parking lots (for privacy of course) and crank Chicago on their car stereo and dance in the street light. Chicago grosses me out.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Renee said...

Congratulations on one year for chicago! Any idea where you'll be next summer?

Kate said...

we have no idea where we will be next summer. Are you guys still thinking about the Argon labs here in Chi town?

Nanette said...

I can't believe it has been a whole year!
You give me hope with your optimism!

JoSue said...

You really can't beat the view you have from your window. It's pretty amazing. One year.....it seems like just yesterday we could walk over to your house and watch the boys play Wii. That's when life was simple....:) Here's to another year of adventure!

Melanie said...

what?! how can you not like the group Chicago?! Josh and I's wedding song we danced to was in fact a Chicago song. (well, they do have stuff I don't like). BUT, Chicago IS the greatest city!!

Anonymous said...

Hey!
We just moved here from Seattle and we are going NUTS in the suburbs - how did you find your apartment? We need advice, there are too many 'marts out here.

thanks