Friday, September 19, 2008

Good Food Friday

I hate to brag, but I made the best meal this week. Oh man, it was so good. I wish I would have made more. It was all because the other day, I went to the produce market and saw these puppies.
Figs
I saw these lovely figs. I couldn't resist. I had to buy them. Luckily, while reading the Runner's World magazine, they did an article about cooking locally and what the elites cook. Well Deena Kastor graced us with her recipe for Caramelized Onion and Fig Pizza. So since I had a recipe requiring figs, I bought them!!!!!

So here is the recipe.
Caramelized Onion and Fig Pizza

Pizza dough for 1 pizza. (I used a recipe from The Better Homes and Garden Cook Book and it turned out great, and I obviously made 2)
1 Tlbsp olive oil
2 yellow onions, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tlbsp brown sugar
1 Tlbsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup arugula leaves, packed
6 dried figs, sliced
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled

Roll out dough to fit baking pan. Preheat oven to 450 F. Heat oil and saute onions with salt until brown. Add sugar and balsamic vinegar. Cook for 10 minutes. Spread onion mixture over dough, leaving an edge for the crust. Top with arugula, figs, and crumbled cheese. Place in oven for 15 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove from oven. Drizzle balsamic vinegar on top. Slice into sixths and serve.
Here my uncooked pizza. It turned out to be delightful!
Here is the picture of the pizza from the magazine. Mine didn't quite look like this. I had to make some changes.

So here is how I altered it.
I used fresh feta (I bought a big block of it, yummy)
I didn't have arugula, so I was going to use spinach, but my fridge has temperature problems, and my spinach was frozen. So there was no greenery on the pizza.
I use fresh figs, I don't know where I would find dried figs, maybe Whole Foods.

Anyway, this really was delicious. The flavors were fantastic, and Bill loved it. So try it, you'll like it!!!

3 comments:

the lunch lady said...

wow! show-off!

The Genealogist said...

I am impressed! It looks wonderful. What a cook.

Paige said...

I love love love figs. Thanks for the recipe. If they're on a pizza, maybe Jeff will eat them...