Friday, September 26, 2008

Good Food Friday

For Good Food Friday this week, I decided to utilize the abundant fresh figs at the produce market. I was going to make pizza again, but then I saw Giada use figs to make a jam for an appetizer. Then I thought, "oh, I should make jam with the rest of the figs." So I did.
First I cut up about a pound of figs into eighths.
Then I combined the figs with sugar, salt, and lemon juice and let it all simmer.
It simmered and turned into this.
I decided to puree a bit of the jam for a smoother texture. Here is the finished product. It turned out really tasty and mild. I kind of expected it to be Fig Newton'ish, but it is way better then that.
So here is the official recipe for:

Quick Refrigerator Fig Jam

Makes about 1 1/2 cups
1 pound fresh figs, stemmed and chopped into sixths or eighths
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
1/8 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a small or medium saucepan (figs should come one to two inches up
side of the pan). Bring to a simmer over low to medium-low heat. Stir often, until figs begin
releasing juice, in order to avoid sticking on the bottom of the pan.

Adjust heat to maintain a simmer, using higher heat if fruit is very liquidy. Cook, stirring
frequently, until jam is thickened, but still juicy, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool, transfer to jars or
airtight containers, and refrigerate. Jam will thicken further as it chills. Keeps refrigerated at
least one week.

I got the recipe at this blog.

Try it, you'll like it!

1 comment:

the lunch lady said...

yummy! i wish i could find fresh figs here. :(