Friday, October 24, 2008

Joseph/Donny

Way way back many centuries ago, not long after the Bible began, I had a great love for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat.
I was walking to the bus the other day after work when someone said the word azure, and I immediately thought "azure and lemon and russet and gray and purple and white and pink and orange and blue. Which spurned me on to think about all the other Joseph songs I had memorized. I LOVED this musical.
In jr. high, my mom and I went to see it with the one and only, Donny Osmond. It was fantastic. I knew all the songs by heart, I listened to the cd constantly (much to my families chagrin), and I had a secret crush on Don himself (we are on a first name basis, you know his wife calls him Don or Donald when she's angry). Oh the day I heard that there was a chance that Donny wouldn't be preforming due to an illness, I prayed my little heart out that he would be there. You can't see Joseph without the true Joseph. And lucky for me, he was there and I was in love. I'm not so sure my crush was so secret. As we drove home from the performance, I asked my mom all about Don . Where did he live, was he married, did he have kids. I was mildly disappointed to find out that in fact he was happily married and had kids. She said "he's a fine example of a family man, in fact, a remarkable family in anyone's book!" He was so dreamy with his long hair and technicolored coat, all I could think of was "give me his colored coat, his amazing colored coat" they could just throw in into the crowd.
But here I am, many years later, and though I don't care for Don so much anymore, I still like the musical, and since that day of overhearing the word azure, I've had Joseph on my mind. I even knew the colors of his coat:

It was red and yellow and green and brown
And scarlet and black and ochre and peach
And ruby and olive and violet and fawn
And lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve
And cream and crimson and silver and rose
And azure and lemon and russet and grey
And purple and white and pink and orange
and blue

But don't rely on all I said I know,
It's just that I have not been wrong before . Mwahahaha.

Maybe I'll go see this again some day, maybe then I won't have to include random Joseph phrases in to my everyday language or blog posts. I just tell myself,
"Go, go, go, go, go, go, go Kate you know what they say
Hang on now Kate you'll make it some day
Sha la la Kate you're doing fine"
you'll make it back there,
and have a really good time.

5 comments:

the lunch lady said...

you did get a little obsessive about your musicals --

Barnum, anyone?

Kate said...

ya, well, a little bird told me you were in love with Donny too.

Farm Girl said...

Let's see, I believe it was during this time period that your dream car was a minivan. You had some strange crushes.

Tyler V said...

Jack's cousin was in a high school production of Joseph a year ago, and he STILL sings "go go go Jospeh". He was obsessed with it for a long time.
It was my first musical and I loved it. SO MUCH FUN. I like the funny musicals better than the sad ones.

JoSue said...

The company I work for just put on this play and it was the first time I'd ever seen it. I thought the music was mediocre. It was stuck in my head for days and annoyed me to no end. "Go Go Go Joseph..." That's all I can remember. Anyway, I need to listen to the music again but for Andrew Lloyd Webber I was surprised.