Sunday, November 16, 2008

Poll Results and Late Good Food Friday

Well the poll is closed and it looks like mayo is the winner. I suppose the results weren't too surprising, but I was surprised when I asked my mom what she voted for, knowing full well that she would say miracle whip. To my chagrin, she said MAYO. My mom is turning out to be a closet lot of things, a closet member of the green party, a closet cat lover, and now a closet mayo lover. (I was kidding on the green party, but everything else is true.) We are a split house hold, Bill loves mayo, I love my miracle whip.
On to the next topic. It is good food Friday/Sunday. I haven't made anything exciting all week until today. But it is never too late to post a good recipe.
This weeks recipe was Couscous with Sweet Potatoes and Yellow Squash.
I thought it was pretty good. Bill thought it was good, but doesn't love couscous as much as I do. But he is a good spouse and eats what ever I make. He admitted it was good, but wasn't "his cup of tea".
So for those of you who would like a Moroccan type recipe and involves yummy couscous, try this. And besides, this give you an excuse to eat sweet potatoes year round.

Couscous with Sweet Potatoes & Yellow Squash:

Ingredients:
16 oz canned tomatoes (w/ juice)
1 medium sweet potato
1 medium carrot
1 small yellow summer squash
1 Tlbs olive oil
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup water
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
ground red pepper (to taste)
1 cup cooed or rinse and drained canned chick-peas
1 cup couscous

Directions:
Use a fork to break up the tomatoes right in the an and set them aside. Cut the sweet potato into 1" cubes. Peel the carrot and cut it diagonally into 1" lengths. Cut the squash into thick slices. Set vegetables aside.
Place the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat for 30 sec. Stir in the onions and cook them, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown. Stir in the garlic, then the tomatoes (w/ juice), water, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper.
Add the sweet potatoes and carrots. Raise the heat and bring the vegetables quickly to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook the mixture for 15 min.
Add the squash and chick-peas; cook for 15 min, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
While the vegetables are simmering, coo the couscous according to the directions on the package.
Fluff the couscous with a fork and place it in a shallow bowls. Ladle the vegetables and broth over the couscous.
Here is the finished product.
Try it, you'll like it.

5 comments:

Farm Girl said...

I forgot to vote and I totally would have voted for Miracle Whip!

Renee said...

I always "forget" to replace our mayo for ma while when it runs out. Britton is slowly being converted to the tangy zip this way.

Aimee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aimee said...

Well I don't know where the post went about you being sick but I'll tell ya, the diarrhea bug is flying through our school right now. Our boss has been out since Thursday, we have a couple of teachers out each day. 13 of our 35ish kids were gone last Friday. It's scary. I know we don't live close to each other but you guys may have that going on there too. Whatever it is, I'm sorry and feel better!

Kate said...

Bill (MCDA) I sneak miracle whip in more things than you know. You have never noticed.