Friday, January 9, 2009

Good Food Friday

Good Food Friday is back, at least for a couple of weeks. I cooked over the break, and so I feel it is time to share. So share with you I will.

On Christmas eve, I made clam chowder in bread bowls. I bought the bread bowls because I'm just that lazy, but I did make the soup, and delicious it was.
So ladies and Gents feast your eyes on..........

Bratten's Clam Chowder


Ingredients:
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups finely diced potatoes
2 cans clams (6 oz each) [I used chopped, not minced]
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
1 quart of half and half (or you can use milk and cream or milk and half and half to reduce the fat content)
1 1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
2 Tbs red wine vinegar

Put juice (from clams) on vegetables and add water to barely cover. Cook till boiling (veggies need to be tender). Melt butter and make a white sauce, add vegetables and clams. Add vinegar just before serving. Voila.

Believe you me, I hated clam chowder growing up. I would take all the clams out and just eat the chowder. But then one day I tried the clam chowder at Legal Seafood and I've been a convert since. I don't think my mom ever expected me to call for such a recipe. It was a Christmas miracle.

Try it, you'll like it.

1 comment:

the lunch lady said...

That looks yummy. I should be that ambitious.

Legal Seafood's clam chowder is a miracle in and of itself. Mmmmm.