Sunday, January 11, 2009

Running Update

Do you like my picture? One morning I woke up to find a mouse in my shoe. Luckily, it was of the fleece variety. (Bill wasn't so lucky and found a push pin in his. His foot was bleeding for a good 10 min.)
So this week was kind of a low mileage week again. Well it should have been more but I had a little mishap earlier this week. So my total mileage was 35.8 miles.
I hadn't slept well in a while, and so Bill told me to take a sleeping pill. So I did, no big deal. So Tuesday morning I woke up to do 4x100 meters strides and then 4 miles, so my total run should have been about 6 miles with warmup/cooldown. But When I got down to the gym, I could not get moving. I did my warm up mile and my strides, and I was struggling to hold my warm up pace. So I only did 4 miles total, 2 of which were walking. I was a mess at work too. So lesson has been learned, don't take a sleep aid if you don't have 8 hours to devote to sleep.
Mileage is going up this next week.

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey Kate, that's awesome you're training for the Boston again! Once you've run it once, do you have to re-qualify each time you run it? I wish I could say that nearly 36 miles was a low mileage week...that would be a record week for me!! Good luck with the rest of your training.

Bill said...

Don't blame the sleeping pills. They get a bad wrap as it is. Everyone is worried about becoming dependent on sleeping pills, but if you need a pill to sleep, you're already dependent on them before you've ever taken them. And when you go off the pills and can't sleep, that's not dependency. That's a return to normalcy for the people who can't sleep.

So don't blame sleeping pills. Especially when the ones in our medicine cabinet are designed only to put you to sleep, not keep you asleep (they're different).

the lunch lady said...

I have a problem waking up when I take just plain old Tylenol PM. I feel like I can't quite get a grip for a while after I wake up. therefore, I hate taking them. My dear spouse seems to have no such side effects.

Bill said...

Tylenol PM is designed to keep one asleep, not put one asleep. Hence the problem waking up. Try Unisom.

Kate said...

thanks doctor bill. I guess we know who all is well versed in sleep aids, PB&J and Bill.

Danette said...

I'm actually glad to hear that an experienced runner suffers from not getting going (even if it was the sleeping pill.) This happened to me sans the pill on Saturday and instead of running 10 I ran 3. I didn't get it, maybe it's not always explained.

Bill said...

Sleeping pills are my friend.