Friday, January 30, 2009

Good Food Friday


It is time for Good Food Friday. And I have a treat for you. For at least one of you, this is a repeat. Yep, I stole this recipe from my dear sister. But it was so good, and I just need to share it with you. I love dessert. So may I present to you:

Bread and Butter Pudding

Ingredients:
10-12 slices of white bread (should be dense bread)
1 c milk
1 c whipping cream, unwhipped
1/3 c butter
1/2 tsp salt
5 eggs
2/3 c sugar
1 Tblsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon with 1 Tblsp sugar, (optional)

Cut crusts from bread and cut into small cubes. Arrange in a greased 9"x13" pan and let dry out overnight.
Bring milk, cream, butter, and salt to a boil. Mix eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Stir small amount of hot milk into eggs, then stir eggs into hot milk mixture. Should be very smooth. Pour mixture evenly over bread cubes.
Place dish with pudding in a roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan 1/3 full of water. Carefully place both pans in 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes, until pudding is golden brown. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
You can throw raisins or berries in too, if you are into that sort of thing.

Vanilla Sauce:
1/4 c butter, melted
1/2 c sugar
1 c cream or half n half or milk
1 Tblsp cornstarch
1 Tlbsp vanilla

Melt butter and stir remaining ingredients into it. Bring to a simmer for 1 minute or until thickened. Whip to blend. Dribble sauce over pudding.

I love this recipe, and it is really easy to make.
Try it, you'll like it.

5 comments:

Paige said...

Yummmmm. I'll have to make some of this very soon. And yes, I think you are correct to think Jeff would have gone to U of C if not HLS. Go...maroons?

the lunch lady said...

This is so yummy! My friend says it's the best non-chocolate dessert she has ever had!

Bill said...

I always get confused between bread pudding and blood pudding. So I'm naturally afraid of both.

Kate said...

oh come on, you L-O, L-O, L-O-V-E this dessert bill. and besides bread and blood don't even sound alike.

Tyler V said...

I fell in love with Bread Pudding on my mission. This one looks very very delicious. I think I may need to make it!