Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring Break, St. Louis Style

We went to St. Louis for spring break, isn't that where everyone goes? Anyway, we had a great time. We drove down on Friday and came home on Sunday, and it was a much needed break.

Poor cat, he had to stay home. We found him a babysitter and he gave us these depressed eyes. He was upset, but was very excited to see us when we got home. Doesn't he sit like an old man?
Our first stop in St. Louis was the Del Mar Loop - a street that has lots of restaurants and shops nestled in between Washington St. Louis, and St. Louis University. We bowled. It was fun. We smelled like smoke the rest of the night. Missouri seems to be one of the only states that allows smoking in public places so we were smoked out at dinner too.
Saturday, we headed off to the arch.
Bill in the gift shop reading "Triggernomitry". Looks fascinating.

We rode these elevator pods to the top. Very cozy.
View from the top.
The top.
Clark, this is for you!
Us in front of the Arch.
Next stop, the Anheuser Busch factory. Yes, we are still good Mormons. But it was interesting, and free. A post will be coming on this. But here is a teaser, I love the smell of barley, it made me want to eat cereal. (hot grape nuts= yummy), but the smell of beer makes me want to retch.
Last stop for the day, Union Station.
Sunday, we made it over to the St. Louis Temple. Did you know it was built in 1997? I thought it was newer then that. Very Pretty Temple.
And then we headed home. A great time was had by all. Can we just stay students forever? I know we have no money, but we also don't have a 90 hour a week job to race home to. Life is so simple right now.

12 comments:

vanessa said...

Looks fun! If you guys ever want a tour of Milwaukee, we'd love to show you around! :) I actually went to the St Louis temple open house back in 1997. My parents thought it would be fun to take a "short" 10 hour car ride from Ohio to see it. :)

the lunch lady said...

you standing by the window gave me a flashback of being in that same spot, with our noses pressed to the window, and Mom in the background having a coronary.

Good, good times.

Kate said...

Mom, were you having a coronary? If you don't respond, we will all assume you were.

Akira Anh Le said...

Lovely cat. I have a cat, too

Farm Girl said...

Your cat really sits like that!? Mom was totally freeking out. You know, the only thing between you and a free fall is that 2 foot thick piece of unbreakable glass/plastic stuff.

Kate said...

It is not uncommon for him to sit like this, but he also sits like a normal cat.

Clark said...

That looks like a super fun trip. Never been to St. Louis. I always thought the Gateway Arch was something made up by the people who filmed Men in Black II. Looks like I was wrong, unless you guys are in on the conspiracy. Thanks for your little shout out Kate.

The Genealogist said...

Yeah, well, there may be a lot of thick glass between you and the great outdoors, but you were looking straight down. And remember, you could feel the arch swaying. Scary, scary, scary!

Bill said...

Lovely cat. I have a cat, too.

The Francis' said...

That's what I like to see... Bill representin'! (wearing a Giants hat) Looks like you guys had fun.

-Bryan

JoSue said...

oh my heck, i get anxiety just thinking about being up in that thing. So, I LOVE your cat. In fact I want one! Cats are so funny and sassy, how could you not love them?

I loved your spring break. I'm glad you guys got out of Chicago and took a little break. Now start the countdown for the Boston trip! You can do it!

Renee said...

hot grape nuts eh? I'll have to try that. I was at the arch/St. Louis temple a year ago! The arch was a little too crowded with middle schoolers for me.
Glad you had a great break not too far from home:)